Monday, June 30, 2014

Mashed Smashed Potatoes

Last night I needed a quick side dish, and since I was too lazy to go to the grocery store all I had was about 15 fingerling potatoes. The hubs wanted baked potatoes, but with these tiny guys that just wasn't going to happen. So I went with my version of mashed/smashed potatoes.
 
 
 
First, I boiled the fingerling potatoes until soft. Once they were easily poked with a fork I drained them, and put them on a sheet pan. I drizzled them with EVOO and set about smashing them. I've seen them done with a potato masher and a fork, but I went straight for the meat tenderizer. Because it was on the top of the drawer and I was too lazy to keep digging.
 

 
 
If the potatoes were small they stuck a little bit, and I just used a knife to pop them off of the meat tenderizer thing.
 
Once they were all smashed, I sprinkled them with salt and pepper. In a bowl I put two tablespoons of butter and grated up three cloves of garlic and melted that in the microwave.  Once it was all melt-y and mixed, I drizzled a bit of the garlic butter over each potato and popped them into the oven at 400 degrees.
 
 
They took about 30 minutes to get nice and crispy on the edges. Once they were, I pulled them out and put a little bit of cheddar cheese on top of each potato and popped it back into the oven to melt.
 
 
I served mine with BBQ chicken and the hubs was devouring them, which is always a good sign.
 
Now, I have to go to the store otherwise its cereal for dinner tonight!
So tell me, what are your favorite easy side dishes?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)