Thursday, July 18, 2013

Some More Tips and Tricks!

Hi lovelies! You know the drill, if I can find the original author click the picture or link and it will take you right to that person!
 
1. A lovey lady- Kelly- said that in the summer months to take regular Listerine and put it in a spray bottle and spray the perimeter of your patio or any area that you are in and it keeps the mosquitoes away. I will DEFINITELY be using this one considering the mosquitoes are horrendous this year.
 
2. For the people who have cats but hate the look of the litter box use this tip from This Old House:
Remove the cabinet door's panel and add a tension rod installed in the cabinet to hide the litter.
 
 
3.  This one is all over Pinterest- and it works. Cinnamon in the sandbox keeps the bugs away. You've got to use a cup to a cup and a half of cinnamon and mix it into the sand, but it works quite well.
 
 
4. I've seen this on Pinterest in various places- bathing your little ones in a laundry basket in the tub to keep them from slipping. It confines them but gives them some room to splash. Now while this may not be the best option for home- it might work really well on vacation. You cant always take the tub with you, but most rental houses have a laundry basket available for you to use.
 
5. Found this on The Storage Geek- fix towel bars to the back of the closet to store blankets.
 
Towel bars affixed to closet doors to hold blankets. I could have used this tip six months ago. You have to know I am using it like, this afternoon!
 
6. This one came from My Life and Kids - and if you haven't gone over to read some of the hilariousness that Anna has on there, you are missing out. Use toothpaste to remove permanent marker from wood floors or tables- works like a charm!
 
7. Mayonnaise will remove water stains from wood. Water marks come when the wood actually gets dried out. Simply slather on a nice thick layer of Mayo and the oils will recondition the wood. Make sure to let it set awhile, it doesn't work instantly!
 
8. Did you know you could freeze buttermilk and heavy cream? I certainly didn't until I stumbled upon this pin from Homestead Revival who told me I could.  Think of all of those recipes that only call for a little bit, and the stores that sell it in pints. Perfect solution!
 
 
9. Village Voices on Kidspot gives us 30 out of the ordinary beauty tricks- my favorite one being the fact that you can use a bit of baking soda on the oily areas of your hair as a dry shampoo, if you don’t have time to wash with regular shampoo. Comb the baking soda through your hair gently to avoid clumps, and then blow-dry with cool air for several seconds.
 
10. For those cloth diaper users, there is a pretty great storage idea I saw on Pinterest. Use a shoe organizer to hold all of them bad boys on the back of a door. Frees up drawer space and keeps the fluff off of the floor.
Cloth diaper storage
11. This one came from my uncle that is a manager of a detail shop at a large car lot. People always come in with horrible bumper stickers on cars and they need them removed. Obviously they have tried many different ways to remove them, but he swears one of the best is just a thick layer of mayonnaise. Slather it over the sticker and let it sit, and the oils will lift the sticky residue right up.

12. Chap stick will stop bleeding from shaving nicks. Just swipe it over the nick and voila!

13. I cant find the original link this came from- so if its you, let me know and Ill link to you!!  Until then, Ill just link to the pin I got it from. Pinner said: "I was in Ulta today and a sales lady dropped nail polish. They immediately began pouring sugar on it. Did you know sugar makes nail polish clump up and you can sweep it right off the floor? I watched them. No scrubbing at all!"

 
14. This one comes from a reader of Thrifty Fun and its one that I desperately need for summer- how to make those mosquito bites stop itching! Pixie from Alliance, OH uses Orajel or any toothache gel medicine and it works! It stops the itching instantly and will not itch again. The best part is its not sticky or greasy and the tube is small enough to fit right in your pocket.
 
 
15. Sarah sent me this tip via email and she swears it works like a charm! If you get some dandruff, you don't need to go buy expensive shampoo just wash your hair with apple juice to get rid of the flakes.
 
16.  This pin lead me to the blog LaLa- and I love this super simple pacifier storage idea.  Just pop them into a basic souffle cup with a lid, and then feel free to store them in a drawer, purse or diaper bag until needed!
 
 
17. Amy over at Then She Made shared her tutorial for rotating can storage- and its one of those why the heck did I not think of that moments. She re-used the fridge cardboard pop boxes and it works like a charm! Simply add a hole at the top of the box and save yourself big bucks over the expensive plastic kind they sell in stores. Brilliant and easy- that's my kind of DIY project!
 
 
18. A friend who works in the floral industry swears that a few drops of bleach in a vase of water will extend the life of your cut flowers. It prevents the growth of the nasty smelling slime and keeps the flowers looking beautiful.

19. My grandma used to swear that a line of chalk will keep ants out of your house. I found a bunch of those critters in my bathroom so I'll be heading outside to draw a chalk outline of my house. If it doesn't keep the ants out, at least it will show where my house stood before I lysoled it to death!

20. Snapguide has a solution on how to hang a sweater so you don't get the crazy shoulder bumps from the hanger. Considering I usually end up re-washing to get rid of them I had to give this one a try!

 
21. The Family Handyman has a list of 10 Easy Holiday Storage tips- and they are all pure brilliance. One of my favorites is how to store gift wrap. We have one of those wrapping storage containers for Christmas wrap, but this would work well for all types of wrapping paper. Install a simple wire shelf on the side of the closet, and it will keep the paper neat and out of the way.
 
 
22. To cool drinks quickly, add some salt and water to the ice. It allows drinks to cool much quicker, which works well when you want something nice and cold and there is nothing in the fridge!
 
23. From the blog Sweet Caroline- use Woolite Foam Carpet Cleaner to clean your grout. It comes out in a nice steady stream, so its easy to spray and works like a charm. Simply spray, let set several minutes, brush and wipe away!
 
 
24. For anyone who has ever been pinched by the springs on a trampoline- this pin is for you- cover the springs with foam pool noodles! I couldn't find the original author on this one either, so if its you please let me know!
 
25.  Another one that makes no sense why I didn't think of this on my own- and unfortunately another one that I cant find the original author for. I found this pin for a easy storage solution for plastic sandwich bags and its pure brilliance.
 
 
26.  Another brilliant pin I stumbled across this time was the answer to my bib storage prayers.
Use a command hook and attach it to the back of the highchair, giving you the perfect place to store bibs. Ive also seen the command hook inside the cabinet door where the baby's food is kept, also brilliant.
 
 
27.  Save all of the travel sized toiletries we swipe from hotels or buy for trips and toss them in a pretty glass jar in the spare bathroom for guests to use. Makes people feel at home and makes you look like a terrific hostess :)
 
 
28. I can not find the original author of this pin- but I want to kiss them (if its you, please tell me!). They provided me with a solution to a horrible problem in the K household.  The scene- I put clothes into the washer knowing that my nice sweater and dress pants don't go into the dryer. Hubs decides to "help" and throws the whole pile into the dryer. Sixty minutes later Barbie can wear my sweater and my pants have more fuzzies on them than my dog. Been there? Then try this- use a dry erase marker with a magnet to write a note on the lid of the washer as to what can not go into the dryer.
 
 
29. Want the look of two curtain panels without having to replace your drapery hardware? The people over at I love decorating share how to hang a second panel behind the existing curtain with the help of a thin bungee cord available in the hardware section of most stores!
 
 
30.  From the people over at snapguide- a fast acting pimple clearing tip! Get an Advil Liqui-Gels. Use a pin to poke a hole in the pill and then apply the liquid to pimple. You will notice the redness and pain goes away almost immediately! Side note- do not use the pin to poke the pimple. Rather, once the hole is poked squeeze it right from the liquid gel onto the skin.
 
 
 
 
That's all for today lovelies- keep sharing your tips and tricks with me :)
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I can definitely use the Listerine for mosquitoes and bib storage ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #25 = pure genius. i have like eleventy billion boxes of different sizes of baggies and they are a pain to look through each time i need to get one out (small kitchen, tight spaces inside cabinets). i will have to pin them to the inside of the cabinet door... problem solved!!! awesome tips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at a Navy daycare and we use empty and washed plastic Gerber baby food containers to store pacifiers. They work wonderfully; they have lids for travel, are easily replaced with all of the baby food we go through, and we can write the kids' names directly on them. My co-teacher and I started it and now most of the other 10 infants rooms do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For #13, above, the source is http://indulgy.com/post/x3IdI6Ya92/if-you-spill-nail-polish-immediately-pour-suga. Just tho't you'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For #28, above, I found a source at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf/CleaningGroup/Laundry/Laundry-Tips-and-Tricks.html wherein she states, "By msprissysmom from Texoma." Wouldn't be surprised if there are other sources for both this & #13 (above). "msprissysmom" has a link, but it took me to a site at http://www2.thriftyfun.com/account/login.lasso?reason=account&status=, but I got no further as I would have had to sign up & sign in, which I did not want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice information. I was searching for the same. It helped me alot and saved my time. Thanks a lot.

    carpet cleaning geelong | furniture cleaning geelong

    ReplyDelete
  7. This steamer works well. It heats up fast, it's easy to use and I love the function where you can lock the sprayer down so you don't have to clutch it on the entire time you are using it.
    Bissell steam mop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there, I found your blog via Google at the same time as looking for a comparable topic, your site came up, it seems to be great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Wayne Spalding
    upholstery and furniture cleaning geelong | schools cleaning geelong
    colleges cleaning geelong | kitchen cleaning geelong

    ReplyDelete
  9. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO REMOVE AN OLD BUMPER STICKER ? I HAVE TO GET THIS OFF

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this on Pinterest in various places- bathing your little ones in a laundry basket in the tub to keep them from slipping. full size cotton sheets on sale , cheap comforter sets under 30 It confines them but gives them some room to splash. Now while this may not be the best option for home- it might work really well on vacation. You cant always take the tub with you, but most rental houses have a laundry basket available for you to use.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)